Friday, March 12, 2010

Glen Beck calls Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" anti-American

According to tea-bag lover and complete wing nut Glenn Beck, Bruce Springsteen’s song “Born in the USA" is anti-American propaganda that people must wake up from.
The lyrics of the song weave a story about a working class guy with a factory job who ends up in Vietnam, loses one of his friends to the war who left behind a baby in Saigon. When he comes home he works hard for 10 years and is stuck in a rut with nowhere to run.
Springsteen explained in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine that he kept out of partisan politics for a long time because he wanted to remain "credible" and "independent. It was the Iraq war that brought Springsteen back into the political foray, as it did for many other Americans.
"I knew after we invaded Iraq that I was going to be involved in the election," he said. "It made me angry. We started to talk about it onstage. I take my three minutes a night for what I call my public-service announcement. We talked about it almost every night on our summer tour.
"I felt we had been misled. I felt they had been fundamentally dishonest and had frightened and manipulated the American people into war. And as the saying goes, 'The first casualty of war is truth.' I felt that the Bush doctrine of pre-emption was dangerous foreign policy. I don't think it has made America safer." [...] "Sitting on the sidelines would be a betrayal of the ideas I'd written about for a long time."
Beck may not remember this but the late president Ronald Reagan and his campaign advisors asked Springsteen to use his “Born in the USA” song for campaign events in 1984. I guess Reagan was un-American also for wanting to use the song. Springsteen refused.

Listen to Glen Beck call Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A." anti-American:
Listen to Bruce Springsteen’s “Born in the USA”:

1 comment:

  1. Is Beck so stupid that he didn't know Reagan wanted to use this song for his reelection campaign.

    ReplyDelete